One of my favorite authors, Stant Litore, has begun Kickstarter campaign to help fund his latest project.
Here is it in his own words. If you can please invest in this unique project, thank you.
Whether you want to read about a zombie apocalypse in the Middle East in 1160 BC, or in second-century Rome, or enjoy the dark, brooding, philosophical horror of the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah entombed with the undead in a dry well — The Zombie Bible has incredible stories to tell.
I began the series in 2009 and published the first novel in fall 2011.
I’m still struggling to break even financially with the series, given my daughter’s continuing medical crisis; she has suffered debilitating seizures since she was 11 days old. A moment of profound wonder and blessing in my life was the moment that her medical bills and my royalties began arriving on the very same day, allowing me to cancel out those expenses.
So far, this set of standalone, read-them-in-any-order novels includes:
- Death Has Come Up into Our Windows – an Old Testament prophet trapped in a dry well with the ravenous dead.
- What Our Eyes Have Witnessed – Polycarp has a Gift. He can bring rest and peace to the restless dead. But Rome might burn him for it.
- Strangers in the Land – A zombie apocalypse in 1160 BC Israel. Four must stand against the dead…if they can first stand together.
Right now, as I write this, I’m wrapping up the fourth book, No Lasting Burial, retelling a New Testament story (you can read about it here), and I am deep into planning something amazing.
Now I want to do something even bigger. Something even more ambitious. Something daring.
This summer, I want to undertake my largest project yet — a project of a truly epic scope. A 700-1000 page novel in which one courageous woman will lead thousands of refugees from the ruins of zombie-infested Rome. This novel has quiet, intimate moments and panoramic set pieces grander than anything I’ve ever attempted:
- The Colosseum converted into a refugee camp, defended by a small band of gladiators
- The descent of an angel by night over Rome (and by angel, don’t think of a little cherub of wings. Think seraph. Picture a being of grace and beauty and unthinkable power, a being that might juggle supernovas like tennis balls).
- A face-off with the Roman emperor while zombies blaze in flames behind his throne.
- A desperate exodus down a road lined with tens of thousands of crosses, on which the Roman legions in their rage and grief have crucified the writhing, moaning undead.
- A final escape sequence that will leave you awed. All I can tell you about it right now is that it is big.
I am very excited about this project. More than I can possibly express.
I have proven that I can deliver a moving, evocative, and thrilling novel that mashes up history, biblical stories and themes, and zombie horror. Now I want to take this to the next level. I want to deliver not just a zombie story, but a zombie epic.
But I need your help.
The fact is, I’m financially strapped. I’m caring for my 1 1/2 year old daughter Inara‘s special needs, which are considerable (though I am heartened by her incredible inner joy — for those interested, you can read Inara’s story and how her story is linked to The Zombie Bible here) and I need both time and funding to:
- Undertake some ambitious research this summer and fall, while I continue outlining and sketching the key sequences of the novel.
- Secure a series of retreats or a “sabbatical” during the winter 2013-14 and spring 2014 — time away to just write. There are 1,000 pages of story to tell, and for both my readers’ sake and my own, I don’t want it to take as long to complete as A Game of Thrones.
I want to ask for your help raising a $10,000 crowd-sourced advance to fund my work on this novel, and I want to invite you into the excitement of its creation.
Some of the higher-tier prizes you’ll find over to the right offer exclusive previews into the novel in the midst of the creative process — or even offer you opportunity to brainstorm with me. I hope you’ll check them out, and consider joining me in this adventure in a hands-on way.
But even if all you have is a dollar in your pocket, I’d appreciate your help. A kickstarter campaign is all-or-nothing; I have to make that $10,000 goal to receive any funding. And a dollar may make all the difference in helping make this unique novel happen.
To contribute to the campaign, click here.